[Dixielandjazz] using tuba and upright bass

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 15:10:13 PDT 2010

> Strictly speaking, Dixieland is associated with Upright Bass and Trad is
> associated with Tuba.

Only if you are American.  mopst Britsh trad bands used the double bass.

> The basic difference is that Dixieland is mostly Swing, which is mostly
> four-beat (four bass notes to the measure) while Trad is two-beat, bass on
> first and third.

Again - maybe in America.  Just listen to Acker Bilk or Chris Barber,
or Ken Colyer.  King Oliver's band was four, not two beat.

  As I mentioned before, the high-hat symbol came into use
> about the turn of the thirties, and two or three things happened.
> + Guitar replaced banjo  (and the guitar played four beat along with the
> bass)

There is only one photo of the Buddy Bolden band, and it shows a
double bass and a guitar.

> When Lu Watters started the Trad Jazz revival in about 1942, he used King
> Oliver's arrangements (for two trumpets) and insisted on a rhythm section
> with Tuba and Banjo.

And two-beat, like the ODJB, not King Oliver.

Cheers