[Dixielandjazz] Tuba - Upright Bass - Bass Sax

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 27 13:41:10 PDT 2010

> "James O'Briant" <jobriant at garlic.com>
>
> Stephen G Barbone wrote:
>
>> So, Captain Bass, bring both the upright and
>> the tuba.
>
> That's easy to say, when you don't have to haul them both.
>
>> On other gigs, you might defer to the leader for choice.
>
> I suggested to the leader of one band in which I play that I bring a
> bass in
> addition to a tuba, for a few of the tune. He said "Absolutely not!"
> Thus
> I'd modify the previous statement to read, "On other gigs,
> DEFINITELY defer
> to the leader, if you want to get hired again."

What I'm trying to get across is that there are no absolute rules. Ask
Vince Giordano why he brought all three (tuba, double bass, and bass
sax) in his van, 240 miles round trip to play a gig led by Marty
Grosz. Or ask Scott Robinson and Dan Block who between them brought 9
different reed instruments for that same gig.

They care less about cartage then they do about expressing themselves
and making the group more diversified.  And Marty, as an old pro, gave
them plenty of space. They are all real pros in that regard. (Of
course Vince, who is 58 years old, did bring his aluminum double bass
to lighten the load)

I agree with Jim about leader choices and didn't mean to imply that
you should play whatever you feel like if you are not the band leader.
The "you might defer" was meant as a polite suggestion that you SHOULD
defer to the band leader both in what instrument you play and in what
style.

Also, I'd like to add that in the photograph of the first jazz band
(arguably that is) led by Buddy Bolden, the rhythm instruments were
guitar and upright bass. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband