[Dixielandjazz] using tuba and upright bass]

Rick rickz at usermail.com
Mon Sep 27 09:37:08 PDT 2010

Strictly speaking, Dixieland is associated with Upright Bass and Trad is
associated with Tuba. Bass Sax, which mostly comes from the era that

Trad celebrates, is played like a Tuba.   Solos are more lyrical and
fluid of course.

The basic difference is that Dixieland is mostly Swing, which is mostly
four-beat (four bass notes to the measure) while Trad is two-beat, bass
on first and third.  As I mentioned before, the high-hat symbol came
into use about the turn of the thirties, and two or three things happened.
+ Guitar replaced banjo  (and the guitar played four beat along with the
bass)
+ Splash cymbal, used to punctuate the end of a stanza, almost disappeared
+ Dance styles like the Charleston & Black Bottom disappeared

When Lu Watters started the Trad Jazz revival in about 1942, he used
King Oliver's arrangements (for two trumpets) and insisted on a rhythm
section with Tuba and Banjo.  This was picked up by the Firehouse Five &
Turk, and so on.  Coon-Sanders fans (like me) have their own standards,
but they always involve either Tuba or Bass Sax.

When I was running the Colorado Nighthawks in the Springs, we
occasionally had to use an upright bass (I know five or six wonderful
players) and the music was "OK" but it really wasn't Trad.

Perhaps, one of these days, the Nighthawks, like the Phoenix, will rise
from the ashes.

Rick Jolley
Sweatin' and Scratching in Arkansas