[Dixielandjazz] Kay Starr

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 21 14:12:34 PDT 2010

Stan Brager wrote:
> Interesting that Mosaic chose not to include that session in their Capitol
> classic Jazz Sessions collection. You also mention a 3rd version of
> "Sharecropper's Blues" with the Kay Starr vocal. I know of the Charlie
> Barnet and Dave Cavanaugh records. Which is the 3rd?

Dear Stan,
Here they are:

Charlie Barnet and Hs Orchestra. V-Disc (Army) 307
Peanuts Holland (tp,vcl) John Martel, Jack Mootz, Lyman Vunk (t) Jerry Foster, Dave Hallet, Burt Johnson, Skip Moore (tb) Charlie Barnet (sax,ldr) Hal Herzon, Joe Meissner (as) Kurt Bloom, Ed Pripps (ts) Bob Poland (bar) Dodo Marmarosa (p) Barney Kessel (g) Howard Rumsey (b) Hal Hahn (d) Kay Starr (vcl) Billy May, Billy Moore, Andy Gibson, Harry Rogers, Ralph Burns, Dave Matthews (arr)
Hollywood, CA. 13 July 1944

Kay Starr
Charlie Barnet and His Orchestra. Decca.
Peanuts Holland, Lyman Vunk, John Martel, Jack Mootz (tp) Gerald Foster, Dave Hallet, Burt Johnson, Charles Coolidge (tb) Charlie Barnet (sax,ldr) Hal Herzon, Joe Meissner (as) Kurt Bloom, Ed Pripps (ts) Bob Poland (bar) Dodo Marmarosa (p) Barney Kessel (g) Howard Rumsey (b) Harold Hahn (d) Kay Starr (vcl) Billy Moore, Dave Matthews, George Siravo (arr)
Hollywood, CA. 3 August 1944

Kay Starr Acc By Dave Cavanaugh's Music. Capitol.
Kay Starr (vcl) acc by Clyde Hurley (tp) Clint Neagley, Jack Crowley (as) Babe Russin, Dave Cavanaugh (ts) Joe Koch (bar) Johnny Black (p) Irving Ashby (g) Billy Hadnott (b) Dick Shanahan (d)
Los Angeles. 11 September 1947

I have the first two on a Jasmine CD but (not yet) the Capitol.
Very kind regards,
Bill.