[Dixielandjazz] Kay Starr

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Sep 18 16:41:46 PDT 2010

Harry Callaghan wrote [in part] regarding Bob Ringwald's Kay Starr item and the 'Swinging on a Starr' LP:
> The only thing I don't know is the release date of the LP........

And Stan Brager has alerted everyone to the 1 December 1947 Kay Star Capitol session with Dave Cavanaugh's Music on Mosaic, so all I have left to add is:

Dear Harry,
As usual, you have, once again, opened up the can of worms.
*>)
The 'Swinging with the Starr' LP ( Liberty LP SL 9001) was a compilation of earlier 1940s Lamplighter and Standard sides and was released in 1956.
In a later message you refer to the Kay Starr - Count Basie album.
This was recorded in New York on 7 December 1968 and released on a Gold Star LP (150.0006).
So far as your comment regarding "my favorite Kay Starr number, "If You Love Me" (Really Love Me)" and  "Capitol had initially been plugging the reverse side, "The Man Upstairs" but soon the flipside ended up receiving all of the attention and I believe that it climbed pretty high on the Billboard and Cashbox charts."
It did and was No 4 in April 1954 and in the charts for 18 weeks.
While I've got your ear.
"Memphis Blues", the earliest vocal by Kay Starr (whose musical mentor was Joe Venuti) can be heard on a Bob Crosby Giants Of Jazz  LP 1032 'Suddenly It's 1939'.
Also check out Worlds Records at
   http://www.worldsrecords.com/cgi-bin/storeR.cgi?phrase=Kay+Starr&specific=artist&format=any&x=17&y=12
for the available Karr Star CDs currently in stock.
A good selection but, unfortunately, missing the excellent and comprehensive 2-CD set on Jasmine JACD 337/8.
The one with all the jazz material, including the Liberty LP stuff.
Very kind regards,
Bill.