[Dixielandjazz] The World in a Jug

Jim Hillesheim jwh66047 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 20:47:06 PDT 2010

I just received my copy of The World in a Jug. I have not yet read it cover to cover, but from the pages I have looked at I would judge it a winner. I found something of interest on every page and I should think that lovers of traditional jazz would want to have a copy on their bookshelf.

On September 1 I posted a message indicating that I needed a “kick in the pants” to get my order placed with Amazon.com. It is very reasonably priced and I would call it a “Best Buy.” In connection with that posting I received a message from a fellow in Manhattan Kansas but before I could reply the message somehow disappeared into cyberspace. One thing I wanted to say was that it's good to know that someone else from Kansas is on this list! This part of the country is not exactly a hotbed of traditional jazz. Kansas City, to its shame, has pretty much neglected early jazz and ragtime. Kansas City does have The New Red Onion Jazz Babies, which does indeed play our kind of music, but they have no regular gig, so it's sort of catch them when you can.

For lovers of ragtime we do have the Kansas City Ragtime Rivalry, which sponsors events throughout the year. In fact, Jeff and Anne Barnhart will be here in Kansas City for a concert on Sunday, September 26. If anyone on this list would like to receive e-mail announcements of forthcoming Ragtime Revelry concerts, just drop me a line and I will get you added to our mailing list.

Jim

Lawrence, Kansas