[Dixielandjazz] FW: What's in a name?

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Sep 16 08:35:29 PDT 2010

What's in a name?

Although it has nothing to do with music, other than it started with a
record shop, Virgin was a bit of a scandelous name when it began.  They even
sold condoms at the check outs in the record shops in London, in crazy
colors! Horrors! Now, of course, Sr. Richard Branston is quite famous, as
are his airlines, etc.

I represented an audio enhancing product for music studios in the late
1970's called the Aphex Aural Exciter.  Even had a t-shirt that said I had
been "aurally excited".  Groups & singers lept at the chance to use it so
they could put that bit of news on the liner notes of their LP's.  I never
became as famous or rich as Branston, though.

In my last year of high school in St. Petersburg, Florida, I formed a group
& called it The Dixieland Yanks.  Our biggest success was playing for the
7th. Grade graduation class, if I recall correctly.

Canal Street Jazz Band works well in Spain, as it is easy to
pronounce...canal being the same word in Spanish as in English.  Friends &
fans refer to us as "La Canal".

Jim