[Dixielandjazz] St Louis happenings: Banjos and Brass debuts, BandJos go...

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sun Sep 12 16:01:17 PDT 2010

Thanks for the promotion, Steve.  PAZZ Dispensers is going to be  fun.
That was my acronym word play for 'public access jazz' as we will  hold the
attention of 8 - 14 year olds, parents, college students and  after-workers
who've wandered into Roadhouse 61 for dinner.  It's great  that you and others
are willing to volunteer this one performance to help  fund-raise for the
STL BandJos Youth Banjo Band.  Can't wait for our  one rehearsal since we have
all not played together before.  For those who  know the St. Louis scene a
bit,  Bill Mason from St. Louis Ragtimers on  Cornet; Joe Thompson on
trombone; Glenn Meyer on clarinet; Steve Hoog on tuba,  Tom Tinnea on keyboards,
Bob Lord on drums, me on banjo with guests Joe Feager  and Don Dempsey who
also work with the kids band.

Just to correct something that probably does not matter much to folks on
this list -- but might give an idea to someone aspiring to get kids  playing.
 Buddy Griffin has no relationship to teaching or sponsoring our  St. Louis
youth banjos.  However, he has been a role model, supporter  and
encourager.  Folks, Buddy has 70 kids playing ukulele or banjo through  the auspices
of the 16,000 member Sagemont Baptist Church in  Houston.  He has been
growing this band for 20 years, uses other ancillary  instruments with interested
kids who have first learned music and banjo, has  watched his alums go on to
become performance music majors on other  instruments.

When our own local kids needed a new rehearsal spot, the minister of a
county Methodist Church stepped forward and said he would see hosting us as
ministry.
So tip #1, look to the churches.  Tip #2, most of the interested youth  in
both my group and Buddy's group are home schooled or private schooled.   I
find them a great population group to work with.

Ginny

In a message dated 9/12/2010 2:50:36 A.M. Central Daylight Time,