[Dixielandjazz] "Trombone Lung?"

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Sep 10 01:29:59 PDT 2010

I knew back in the early 60's that Oboe players had a good chance of
developing emphysema.  I played Oboe regularly for 8 years and other
woodwinds since then.  That coupled with a lot of second hand smoke has
given me some breathing difficulties.  Not terrible but I wish I didn't have
it.

Oboe requires a lot of pressure coupled with holding your breath for fairly
long periods of time.  I would bet that trumpet players have trouble too
later in life because of the high pressure.  This contrasts with flute that
requires deep breathing with little pressure.  Flute is probably good for
you.
Larry
StL