[Dixielandjazz] Question about left handed trombone playing

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 9 12:15:15 PDT 2010

Hello Bob,
I'm not a trombone player myself, but my wife has a masters degree in jazz trombone, so I feel privileged enough to answer your question.
In order to play the trombone lefthanded the player only has to turn the bell in another angle. (180 degrees) That usually is possible on every trombone.  Some trombones (often for classical players) have extra valves, to play extra low notes. They are designed for righthand playing and sometimes would be better to adjust a bit for left hand playing.
One of the most wellknown classic jazz trombonists playing lefthanded is Max Collie, from Australia. Here is his website : http://www.maxcollie.co.uk/biographies/biographies.html

Kind regards,
Bert Brandsma
www.dixielandcrackerjacks.com

Last week, for the first time in my 85 years, I saw a left handed slide trombone player!  Did he need a special instrument or do regular trombones allow adjustment by rotation?  Only trombone players reply please - I want to get it right.  bob b