[Dixielandjazz] Boardwalk Empire

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 04:57:42 PDT 2010

It must have to do with who is in charge of overseeing the closing credits
of a film.

My friend Bruce McNichols and his Smith Street Society Jazz Band played the
funeral march and were seen coming out of the cemetery near the closing
of "King of the Gypsies" and the name of the band showed up in the credits.

However, in "Hero at Large", they were seen on a flat-bed trailer near the
steps of NYC's City Hall, played in the background while John Ritter and the
Mayor were giving speeches and then as the scene was fading out played
"Happy Days Are Here Again".......However, they were not even mentioned in
the credits.

But they never seem to miss the caterers and drivers.

Frankly, as closing credits have gotten consistently longer, I'm surprised
that the Academy hasn't created a category to present an Oscar for them.

I love the real old b/ws that I see on TCM., when they would open up with
not only listing but showing the faces of the primary cast in a movie   It
is extremely rare nowadays when at the end of a movie, it actually says "THE
END".

Also, when I was young, at the end of a movie, the audience would applaud
just as if they had seen a live performance.

Then again, we could get in the theatre for 14 cents and you didn't have to
take out a second mortgage on your house to buy candy and popcorn.

Memories, what would we do without them?

Tides
HC.

--
Some men see things as they are and say why....I dream things that never
were and say why not            -