[Dixielandjazz] Hot vs. Cool / Cats vs. Chicks

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 14:50:06 PDT 2010

Wow,  Beryl Booker.............now there's a name I haven't heard in years.
I have one 10" LP she recorded (trio I believe) on the Cadence label.

Since I worked for Archie Bleyer's company just after I got out of high
school, I never paid for any Cadence records, including a coupla great
12"LPs by Billy Maxted, "Manhattan Style" and "Jazz at Nick's"

My most cherished album from that period though was "Andy Willams Sings
Steve Allen" it was recorded with Alvy West & the Little Band and sounded
nothing like the Andy Williams that people would come to know later.  No
electronics like those implemented when he switched to Columbia......just
pure soft and mellow Andy........he has never sounded better.

Unbeknownst to many, while still on Cadence, he also recorded an album in
France, arranged and conducted by Quincy Jones, not a commercial hit by any
means, but nonetheless rather impressive.

Tides
HC..

--
Suppose you were an idiot