[Dixielandjazz] Hot vs. Cool / Cats vs. Chicks

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 26 14:25:36 PDT 2010

Interested list mates may hear clips from the album Hot vs. Cool /
Cats vs Chicks,  at: :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002ZF1T3U/ref=nosim/?tag=ciaouk-mp3-21

Album details are:

[Song # 1-8] Hot vs. Cool - Live at Birdland November 24, 1952.

Each band plays a version of:

How High The Moon,  Indiana, Muskrat Ramble, Battle of the Blues.

JIMMY McPARTLAND HOT JAZZ ALL STARS
Jimmy McPartland - c,  Vic Dickenson - tb, Edmond Hall - cl,
Dick Cary - p & t, Jack Lesberg - sb, George Wettling - dr

DIZZY GILLESPIE AND THE COOL JAZZ STARS
Dizzy Gillespie - tp, Don Elliott - mel & tp, Buddy DeFranco - cl
Ray Abrams - ts, Ronnie Ball - p, Al McKibbon - b, Max Roach - dr

[Song # 9-15] Cats vs. Chicks - Recorded in NYC June 2, 1954

Each band plays a version of:

Cat Meets Chick, Mamblues, The Man I Love and then a combined version
of Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better.

CLARK TERRY AND HIS SEPTET -
Clark Terry - tp, Urbie Green - tb, Lucky Thompson - ts ,Horace Silver
- p
Tal Farlow - g, Oscar Pettiford - b, Kenny Clarke - dr

TERRY POLLARD AND HER SEPTET
Norma Carson - tp, Terry Pollard - vb, Corky Hecht - hrp
Beryl Booker - p, Mary Osborne - g, Bonnie Wetzel - b, Elaine Leighton
- dr

I still have my album of Cats vs. Chicks, having bought it after
hearing pianist Beryl Booker and her quartet in NYC in the early
1950s. Those who listen to the clips might be surprised just how good
the Chicks are even if the music is not YKOM.

Bill H, you old one eyed mate, how did you like the album?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband