[Dixielandjazz] Dizzy & Dixieland

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 23 16:06:56 PDT 2010

> This from Bill Allred:
>
> When I was with Wild Bill Davison on one of the SS Norway Jazz
> cruises, Diz
> walked up on our stand, suggested Royal Garden Blues, played all the
> sections and then a couple of great chorus's.  Kenny Davern, Bob
> Haggart and
> I were stunned!  The respect he garnered for the early titles was very
> evident.
> BILL ALLRED

As a self taught trumpeter, late 1920s, early 30s  Dizzy Gillespie, no
doubt, grew up musically under the influence of Louis Armstrong. He
probably knew more about the intricacies of Armstrong's music than
most people alive from say 1930 until his death.

He simply chose to expand the language of jazz and so after 1938 or
so, he departed from the Armstrong - Shavers - Eldridge influence and
rarely played in the traditional manner. But from what Bill Allred,
and Tony Parenti, and various biographers have said about it, Dizzy
knew OKOM. Just as Charlie Parker did.

Bop simply evolved from Dixieland and Swing. With a little help from
players like Bix, Louis and Pee Wee Russell.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband