[Dixielandjazz] Dizzy & Dixieland

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 21 13:33:54 PDT 2010

>  "M J (Mike) Logsdon" <mjl at ix.netcom.com> asked:
>

> Which reminds me to ask a question, proving my early onset of failed
> memory.
>
> Did Gillespie and his ilk record a "dixieland" album once?  I seem
> to recall that such a fact was talked about here once long, long
> ago.  I promise I'll write it down this time.

Dear Mike:

I don't know if Gillespie ever recorded Dixieland, but I do know he
played Dixieland. Tony Parenti loved to tell the story about Charlie
Shavers sending Dizzy to the Metropole Cafe in NYC as a sub one night
in to play in a Dixieland band where Parenti was the clarinetist. I
think Big Chief Russell Moore was the trombonist.

Any way, Parenti said he really enjoyed playing with Gillespie and
that they got along fine musically and otherwise.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband