[Dixielandjazz] Lasting vs. Quality

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 17 08:11:58 PDT 2010

It is well to remember that the Beatles Music does meet the "lasting
requirement after 40-50 years. They broke up as a unit in 1970, 40
years ago.

Phil is spot on with his comment that there are young listeners. Quite
a few I suspect. In our band's experience at weddings, the bridal
parties most requested songs are BEATLES songs like "Love Me Do", or
"And I Love Her," or "Michelle", or "P.S. I Love You."

They are requested by kids in their 20s.

Regarding OKOM withstanding the test of time . . . it pales by
comparison to the Beatles, or Elvis etc. Seems that at most OKOM
festivals in the USA, one sees only the old folks nostalgia crowd. And
bands which cater to them by digging up obscure tunes which until
then, certainly have not withstood the test of time.

Beatles vs. OKOM? I suspect the Beatles worldwide record sales exceeds
the TOTAL record sales of ALL OKOM Musicians since 1917.

Have the old folks OKOM audiences become aesthetic fascists?
"Aesthetic fascists": People who have been convinced by elites and
talking heads that something is supposed to be artistically good and/
or revered, therefore they believe it really is artistically good,
regardless of its merit.

Bottom line: How many of those obscure OKOM tunes championed by bands
and old folks audiences are obscure because they were not any good in
the first place?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband