[Dixielandjazz] Derf Nolde Obit

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 15 17:39:37 PDT 2010

Below is the obit of jazz pianist Derf Nolde. Derf was the well known
OKOM band leader of the Keystone Jazz Group here in the Philadelphia
area. Most of the OKOM jazz musicians in the Mid Atlantic States
played at one time or another with his band. Besides me, they included:

Jon Erik Kellso, Randy Reinhart, Dan Levinson, Kenny Davern, Tony
DiNicola, Eph Resnick, Charles Fambrough, Dave Mohn, Ace Tesone, Pete
Pepke, Jack Fine, Brian Nalepka, Kevin Dorn, Molly Ryan, Ralph
Clemson, Bob Hartzell, Paul Hubbell, Ed Metz, Al Rae, Joe Mongillo,
Bobby Levine, Ed Polcer, Glenn Dodson, Ray Mantilla, Norm Burbank,
Vinnie Borcelli, Jim Cochran, Mike DeMonte, Joe Gibilisco, Bob
Gravenor, Dick Glass, Al Harrison, Rick Gosda, Dan Tobias, DeWitt Kay,
Pat Kennedy, Jim Lawler, Joe Midiri, Paul Midiri, Mac McClaeb, Jim
Parker, Jerry Rife, Kevin Rivle, Pete Reichlin , Stan Slotter, Stephen
DiBonnaventura, Clarence Watson, Bob Leive. . .  And probably 20 more
at least. Forgive me if I left you out but I'm doing this from memory.

There will be a memorial for Derf at The Holly Hedge Estate in New
Hope PA from noon to 5 PM on Sunday, October 31. Contact me, or Dan
Levinson for directions if you would like to make it and/or jam.

Sadly,

Steve Barbone

www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

\Williamsport Sun Gazette:

Anthony Derf Nolde, 82, renowned musician and loving father and
friend, passed on peacefully in the night on September 25, 2010. Derf
was born September 22, 1928, in Wyndmoor, Pa., the son the late
Reverend Dr. O. Frederick Nolde and the late Ellen Jarden Nolde. He
graduated from Germantown Friends School and earned his bachelor's
degree in psychology from the University of Pennsylvania and a
master's degree in music from Manhattan School of Music then joined
the faculty at Rutgers University. During this time he nurtured his
love for his newly found joy and talent for jazz, which he pursued the
rest of his lifetime.

Derf opened his music store, Nolde's Music Box, in Flemington, N.J.,
and 30 years ago formed the Keystone Jazz Group. The band performed
together as recently as this past July in Eagles Mere, Pa.,
celebrating 24 years of concert seasons there.

Derf is survived by his son, Scott Frederick Nolde and Scott's wife
Wendy Hughes, Sydney, Australia; daughter, Catherine (Kate) Nolde,
Turbotville, Pa.; and their mother, Jane. He and his companion, Alice
Berendzen, have celebrated life together for the last 20 years. He is
also survived by his dear grandchildren, Gwyneth, Christian, and
Bronwen all of Australia, as well as his sisters, Suzanne Van Leer
Nolde, Wyndmoor, Pa., and Fredericka Berger, University Park, Md.

Derf was a man with great presence and cheer. His smile and his manner
were infectious, and his love of music apparent to all. He inspired
audiences with appearances on stages in Philadelphia, New Jersey, New
York, Florida, New Orleans, Richmond, as well as many other places,
including Eagles Mere, Pa., where he spent 30 years of his life.

A tribute to Derf's life is planned by his family at the end of
October. Contributions in Derf's honor can be made to The Community
Conservatory, 4459 W. Swamp Road, Doylestown, PA 18902.