[Dixielandjazz] FW: Fwd: For trombone players

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Oct 13 10:39:03 PDT 2010

Did anyone notice the scrolling charts on the video?  You can follow what is
being played perfectly well.  Catch the triplets on pg 12 of the chart.
And, the coda!!  Wow!
Then, listen to the following song on the same video...America.  Then, click
on I Love You.  This guy is quite capable of very high speeds.

Can he do it dubbing 3 other trombones...in perfect sync?  Dunno. I wouldn't
say there are any tricks there other than maybe playing it a bit slower &
speeding it up (& I couldn't swear that was done here!).

It doesn't need to be played an octave below & then doubled (as suggested by
Charlie Hull just a minute ago)nowadays.  However, raising the tempo without
changing the pitch is not that successful over a large range...even with
very professional equipment.  Glitches begin to appear, particularly on
sustained notes if too much speed is added (or subtracted). So, if it is
sped up, it would just be a bit.  And why would he bother doing that?  He's
already faster than anyone else on earth!  :>

Someone wrote (below the video) that it sounded weird because it lacked the
different tones of different players.

I recently experienced that effect when my 3 trombone friends stayed at my
house...the guys from the Philly Pops.  We had a good session in my studio
with all 4 bones reading jazz quartets and some classical things.  The
different tones from everyone so much added to the sound of the multiple
horns. We weren't recording, though, just having a honk amongst friends!

Jim