[Dixielandjazz] Tyler Jackson

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 5 14:05:23 PDT 2010

> A levy wrote:
> RE:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieo_sHldEWM
> What I found interesting about this video.
>
> Despite the energy and excitement of the players
> watch the kids (students).
>
> They hardly tap a foot or lift an eyebrow.

Hi Al:

IMO many kids do not know what swinging is. <grin>

Don't get me wrong, I think Tyler and the banjoist are superb. However
the chosen tempo is very difficult to swing and  am of the opinion
that they are not swinging in that they are not relaxed. Too many
notes and gimmicks for me. Too choppy as I hear it and rhythmically
uneven.

IMO, to hear Tyler (on bass this time) swing go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLIz_UxT4us&NR=1

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband