[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 18 09:43:14 PST 2010

Talking about Pops, here are some of my favorite you tubes of him.
(even though I am personally not wild about Danny Barcelona)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vpuFYQwZ5o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJS-nKHquaQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvKEzc3JXo4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GuDExkBmnU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSbRs2TjVKs&feature=related  (w/cozy
cole)

IMO, this is the music that kept Armstrong exceptionally popular in
the 1950s, and 1960s among the mass audience all over the world. And
that if we are to re generate that kind of mass audience appeal, we
should all consider the swinging music of the All Star Years, rather
than the Hot 5 Hot 7 years or the music he played in the 1930s.

Note especially the Struttin With Some Barbecue (last one above) with
his 1927 version below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl-2R_Pb7dk&NR=1

No doubt the 1927 version is pure classic jazz, and we "knowledgeable"
folks may prefer it because of that, however IMO, the mass audience
will much prefer the would relate much better to something like the
1953 version.

We might also consider how well this extraordinary man connected with
the mass audience.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband