[Dixielandjazz] Cap Handy and the open air

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 17 15:18:32 PST 2010

Two themes:

I have no idea whether the Cap Handy RCA LPs have been reissued, I have one with
Doc Cheatham and Claude Hopkins and it's always seemed to me a bit tame. It
never seems to get going. I gather his status as the last major New Orleans
musician of a generation active in the 1930s was due to some disputes about his
alto playing, about which some people were rude -- and that he suffered for not
having been a clarinetist. Though he did gig on the instrument. The rave notices
I remember from his heyday were all associated with performances on which he
just got to let rip.

As for the open air, I remember Billy Hunter, the outstandingly lyrical
trumpeter in Ken Mathieson's CJO, enthusing about the open stage in the large
city square (George Square) in Glasgow one year the Glasgow Jazz festival's
former normal main venue was out of commission for serious restoration work.
There were big crowds for the free music and the planned marquee was never
erected because of the marvellous sunny weather. All week!
Billy's enthusiasm meant more because his lip wasn't well after putting his all
into an amazing all-out band set in a physical context which pretty well needed
and pretty well had two of him.

Lots of city centre crowd and after-work beer-drinking in the sunshine, and
lunchtimes, and even girls in their middle teens on the bus talking about the
jazz festival as a place to be.

I don't know about the economics, the performances I heard and had reported to
me were not just pleasing background music for strangers.

It would be great if it could be done again. Without the couple of miles of
sectarian parade which silenced one set by marching past for about an hour at
least, and rescheduled to the Saturday afternoon because its original date
coincided with the G8 economics conference (where Dubya fell off his bike in the
grounds of the venue) and the police detached to guard him and others were also
required for the parade ....
There was of course no police detail at the jazz. I did see a couple of happy
looking cops in shirtsleeves strolling where the music could be heard.