[Dixielandjazz] Polish jazz scene 1956

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 13:50:29 PST 2010

Hello,
I've read the article anyway.
Not sure how accurate the description of the siruation is, though.  I
remember first hearing a swinging band in 1953 or 1954.  By the time
of the Sopot festival, jazz had become extremely popular in Poland,
even though any western music - rock @ roll, Latin American, etc., was
considered jazz.  We had jazz bands all over the place; even at our
school parties, we had jazz.  Acker Bilk toured Poland before the
Sopot festiva, and visited my city - Wroclaw (pronounced Vrotzlav).
Leopold Tyrmand, referred to in the article, already had a jazz
programme on the radio.  Voice of America was still not readily
available - the Communist authorities broadcast disturbances on all
western frequencies to prevent access.
Best regards