[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong "When You're Smiling"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 10 21:00:54 PST 2010

Stephen G Barbone wrote [in part]:
> I think this is Louis with the Dickerson Band. No doubt our mate, Bill Haesler can shed more light on it.

Dear Steve,
It was indeed, conducting and as violinist.
For those who only want to "hear" Louis the 'jazzman', his late 1920s - early 193s recordings (when listened to for the first time) come as a shock. Mine came back in 1945-46.
This, as you rightly point out is Louis the emerging entertainer.
He was a popular recording artist, the record companies held the purse strings, and he featured the latest hits, to great acclaim.
Popular songs from the shows - "I Can't Give You Anything But Love/Ain't Misbehavin'/Black and Blue/Some Of These Days/After You've Gone" and "When You're Smiling". And, a few months later, even "Song Of The Islands"!
Around this time Louis was one of the stars of the all-black revue 'Connie's Hot Chocolates' (written by Fats Waller, Andy Razaf and Harry Brooks) on Broadway.
"When You're Smiling" (Larry Shay, Mark Fisher; music, and Joe Goodwin; lyrics) was published in mid 1928 and recorded at that time in Chicago by Devine's Wisconsin Roof Orchestra and a contingent (the Louisiana Rhythm Kings) from the popular Coon-Sanders Orchestra.
   http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/LRK/whenyouresmiling.ram
What is not generally known is that at the Louis Armstrong "When You're Smiling"session (11 September 1929) they cut a non-vocal version, probably for release in non-English speaking countries. On this one there is an additional Louis muted trumpet chorus, plus other solists!
   http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/Louie/lao/whenys.ram
Though not as spectacular as the better-known record, it is interesting nonetheless.
Other early-1930 'cover' renditions of Louis' 1929 hit include those by King Oliver
   http://redhotjazz.com/songs/oliver/kingo/youresmiling.ram
and Duke Ellington
   http://www.mainely-jazz.com/rhsongs/songframes.html
But is it Jazz?