[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong "When You're Smiling"

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 10 19:51:59 PST 2010

On Nov 10, 2010, at 5:58 PM, Jack Mitchell wrote:

> Steve Barbone wrote:
>
>> During this sweet period, IMO, (Louis) was enamored, as others have
>> said, by Guy Lombardo's sound and so he fronted bands that played
>> in that style. (Dickerson, Russell et al)
>
> That's the first time I've read that Russell's Band, with Red Allen
> and J C Higginbotham, sounded like Guy Lombardo's Orchestra.
>
> Maybe I shouldn't have neglected all those Lombardo discs in the
> junk shops that were overpriced (I thought) at 5c each.

Hi Jack:

Suggest you listen to "My Blue Heaven",  by Luis Russell circa 1934.
Or "Sweet Memory" circa 1946. (Armstrong not on these but those other
jazz greats are)

For Armstrong fronting the Luis Russell Orchestra (Now called Louis
Armstrong Orchestra) listen to "Ain't MisBehavin' circa 1938,  or
"Among My Souvenirs" circa 1942 or even "Baby Won't You Please Come
Home" circa 1939.

IMO the Lombardo influence is clearly evident in the arrangements.

Listen to early Guy Lombardo "Jazz" on Gennett for example, "Mama's
Gone Goodbye" or "Cotton Picker's Ball" circa 1924.

Perhaps you should have bought those Gennett's for 5 cents each? <grin>