[Dixielandjazz] Lead sheet request- Armed Forces Medley

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon May 31 17:41:58 PDT 2010

I have gone through this a few times before for some bands I am in...

There are  arrangements of these songs, some that blend them together
with transitions and fanfares - many are commercially available for
$5 or less.
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/search?q=a+tribute+to+the+armed+services+%28a+medley%29
   is one place, there are many others.

(there are some copyright issues with the individual songs and medleys
so you probably won't find free scores on-line.)

The other way is to get the music from each service website and do it
yourself. The main 4 do not have sheet music on-line.
http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=191 -
http://www.bands.army.mil/music/armysong.asp
http://www.af.mil/questions/topic.asp?id=5
http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/audio_resources/ceremonial_music/index.htm
  (has lots more than just the basic song, but all interesting stuff!)

Coast Guard - it is easy to get "Semper Paratus" here for a PDF:
http://www.fredsplace.org/images/semperpar1.pdf

(If you want to really "wow 'em" you can add the Merchant Marine song:
http://www.usmma.edu/parents/Sheet%20Music.htm  )
listen here: http://www.ammvsacvalley.com/files/01_Track_1.mp3

The actual tunes are pretty simple - Good luck! Protocol order varies
with each service, by the way ;-) I have read manuals and regulations
from each - they all say "We go first (or last)" depending on what
they think is most traditionally correct for their service. The way my
band has done it for 30 years is Army Navy Air Force Marines (all in
Bb) then Coast Guard in Eb. I don't know why we do it in that order,
but there were bandsmen from 3 of the 4 main branches in the group
when the order was set.

Dave RIchoux