[Dixielandjazz] Shades of John Cage

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon May 31 14:03:21 PDT 2010

On May 31, 2010, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> Randy Fendrick <jfendrick at bak.rr.com> wrote:
>
> I saw the Titans at a festival we were playing, I believe that is
> their name, playing Sweet Georgia Brown and the band took an entire
> chorus without making a sound. The drummer was keeping time without
> hitting anything, the players were moving the valves and keys, the
> slide was moving in and out, but no sound,   Then they came in on
> the last chorus and blew the house down.  It was absolutely great!
> It just reinforces the old adage, you got to have a gimmick.  You
> are right John Cage would have appreciated it,
> later,
> Randy Fendrick
> Southside Chicago Seven

Yeah Randy, I saw a video of them doing that on local TV. I believe it
was from one of the Bix Festivals a few years ago. Marvelous. Of
course, they are one of the most popular bands on the Festival
Circuit. Just  because, perhaps, in addition to being excellent
musicians, they know how to connect with the audience.

I also saw Thelonious Monk play an entire set in San Francisco not
touching any of the piano keys. It was like a mime. Stopping his
fingers just before contact. Of course the rest of the quartet did
play during it. When he came off the stand, Monk was sweating
profusely just as he would have had he been actually hitting the keys.
Very weird

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband