[Dixielandjazz] Larry's remark about Jim's remark about Beth'sremark.....

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat May 29 15:54:45 PDT 2010

Cool --

We tried a young lady in her teens who plays trumpet with great range and
technique.  Her dad is an accomplished sax player with a couple of big bands
here in StL.  They showed up for rehearsals and played the music.  BTW this
young lady was also asked to play with another band I work with.

This went on for about six rehearsals in both bands.  While highly talented
her improv was very mechanical and wooden.  Two members of the band asked me
privately to not ask her back.

Her dad wants very badly that she should be  a jazzer but while she has all
the equipment she has zero talent for it.  That's sad because she thinks she
is really swinging.  This is because everyone tells her that.  I think
endless complements are detrimental to young musicians.

Pros don't gush all over other pros.  Playing well is a given but the
amateur groups just can't wait to lay on the complements no matter what is
played.

I think it can ruin a good young musician if he thinks he's on top.  The
other side is if you give any criticism at all they don't believe you
because after all everyone else tells them how great they are.
Larry
StL