[Dixielandjazz] Beth's remark about young members

Beth Schweitzer beth at portafortuna.com
Thu May 27 22:11:03 PDT 2010

Hi Bill,

I wasn't saying we don't need young musicians, just that we already have
several of them and we don't seem to be doing anything about getting
younger audiences.

I'm seeing more and more younger musicians at festivals - maybe not lots
of bands of entirely young musicians (although there are some) but many
individuals as members of bands. We're not talking youth bands here -
real working bands with younger musicians. And what about Bria's Mighty
Aphrodite? They are young and fresh and a true part of the scene.

What I don't see are many young people in the audience. That's all I'm
saying. You only have to see how many festivals are going under to see
the effect of not attracting the younger crowd. It's great to play for
swing dances and get the young people out there who like that but if you
can't lure them to the festivals and jazz clubs they (the festivals and
jazz clubs) will die.

But I do agree we need all the young musicians we can get. I just don't
know if that will save our festivals and jazz clubs.

Beth