[Dixielandjazz] Humility

Steve Heist steveheist at earthlink.net
Wed May 26 12:48:38 PDT 2010

Greetings, all,
Well, Bill, I can top that one, believe it or not.
Our group, the Tin Rainbow Ragtimers, (with Doug Mattocks on banjo and Dick
Hardwick on drums) was invited to play in Springfield, Ill. at the Forum 30
hotel - (beautiful modern hotel).  We were to play in the "basement" level
in a room called the Chicago Speakeasy.  We got there on Sunday, well before
our due date on Monday, and started setting everything up.  After an hour or
two, the manager of the room came up to us and we introduced ourselves.  He
asked us what we wanted to drink and we chatted for about an hour.  Then he
looked at us, very seriously, and said, "Tomorrow night, when you guys
start, I want you to play as loud as humanly possible!"  We were all sort of
stunned, since we had NEVER had a request from a manager like that.  In
fact, it was usually the opposite idea...  Well, I asked him "why" and he
leaned very close to us and said, "You see, this joint is known all around
town as THE place to find hookers.  We've tried everything to chase them
out - to no avail.  So we figure if the music is so frigging loud - they
can't conduct their business with all that racket going on!  After a few
weeks, we should have driven them out!  We stayed there 3 months :-)  Oh,
and mission accomplished!
So you NEVER know WHY you're hired!
ALL the Very Best,
Steve "Stubby" Heist