[Dixielandjazz] Adding youthful Members

Phil Wilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Tue May 25 14:01:00 PDT 2010

If you will (can find a place to) play where teen-agers can hear you -
perhaps shopping malls and such - and will play at tempos a human can dance
to - the young people will come - at first to jeer and then they will start
to dance. You have to seek them out, they are not looking for you.

Tempos to dance to are critical, you are trying to be attractive to an
audience which has never heard anything like you before and is completely
self-absorbed. They DON'T CARE how musically amazing you can be, so save the
virtuoso showing off with strange extended chords for the after-hours jam
session. The same applies to long announcements between tunes: they don't
care about the history, they want to polish their belt buckles. Use old
traditional jazz warhorses - King Oliver, Jelly Roll Morton, etc., they have
strong rhythms and good melodies which will stick in the kids' minds despite
the raging hormone fog.

Again, KEEP THE SPEED DOWN! Yes, through familiarity, it is going to seem
draggy to you - SO WHAT? Your object is to get the girls moving to the
music. As soon as the girls start to move to the music, you have found your
proper tempo. Foot tapping is a beginning, but it isn't good enough, you
want full body movement. When the girls begin to wiggle, the boys will join
in. If they don't know how to Charleston or Black Bottom (and who will?),
they'll make something up on the spot and be very happy.

I have seen it happen.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.