[Dixielandjazz] Learning about Dixieland inside BOP

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Tue May 25 11:15:35 PDT 2010

I mean the BOP no member of this list could object to on musical grounds!
Which is to say a publication called BOYS' OWN PAPER to which I subscribed as indeed a boy
There was a jazz column dating back a long time, Bix rubbing shoulders with Biggles, to when BOP thrived and BEBOP had not been devised.
I was reminded of this because I remembered Rex Harris writing once about Goofus and Hot Fountain Pen and dilating about the great Rollini and his recourse to curious instruments of non-torture.  It struck me and stayed with me because of the eccentricity of the instruments.

Much, much more recently I came across a curious piece of on-line ignorance on the part of someone who had uploaded for others' use a Parlophone LP of Adrian Rollini and who supposed that Goofus was a nickname for bass saxophone.
I should imagine Boys' Own Paper was read at Eton when Humphrey Lyttelton was there.  It perished when Humph was in his forties and I in my teens.  If there is a spare copy in my loft and I ever get back up there I might manage to scan a Rex Harris column for Agustin the generous chronicler.
This is not a variation on the theme of where were you when you first heard of the Goofus?  !!!