[Dixielandjazz] Goofus

Tim Eldred julepjerk at surewest.net
Sat May 22 23:36:12 PDT 2010

The piano roll I have has that wording as the start of the first verse.  I don't know that there is a chorus - the middle portion below is kind of a bridge between the two verses and has a different melodic line.  Here are the words on the roll:

I was born on a farm out in Ioway/a flaming youth who was bound that he'd fly away/I packed my grip and I grabbed my saxophone.  Can't read notes but I play everything by ear/I made up songs on the sounds that I used to hear/when folks hear me play they always say/sounds a little Goofus to me.

Corn fed chords appeal to me/I like rustic harmony/hold the note and then change the key/that's called Goofus.  Not according to the rules/that you learn at music schools/but the folks just dance like fools/they go Goofus.

Got me a job but I just couldn't keep it long/the leader he said that I played all the music wrong/so I set out with an outfit of my own.  Got together a new kind of orchestree/and we all played just the same Goofus harmony/and I must admit we were a hit/sounds a little Goofus to me.  (Not sure on the last line - can't find the piano roll to check, but that's what I remember it to be...)

The piano roll then repeats the "Corn fed chords" and "Got me a job" portions, with "sounds a little Goofus to me" as the ending.

Hope this helps...

Tim Eldred
Roseville, CA
Lurker and amateur musician...