[Dixielandjazz] Goofus

Kevin Yeates kyeates at yahoo.com
Sat May 22 20:22:55 PDT 2010

Every version I have heard of Goofus contains what I would call the chorus.  The part I am referring to has the words that include

“I was born on a farm out in Ioway
A flaming youth who was bound that he’d fly away”

I had only heard it played that way until I was listening to a recording of it by Slim Lamar’s Southerners.  They play a whole lot more of the tune than simply the famous part I have mentioned above.  In fact that part seemed to come up only once. (I wasn’t listening that carefully to it.)

Can anyone tell me if there actually is a verse to the tune or did  Slim Lamar’s Southerners simply do a good job of creating a bit more to flesh things out. If there is a verse as well, does anyone have the words?

Kevin Yeates
Vancouver, Canada