[Dixielandjazz] Sandy Brown with The Old Timers

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri May 21 15:43:22 PDT 2010

Marek Boym wrote (in part):
> I have just looked up Polish Jazz Discography, only to find that  Muza
> XL0501 LP is a Jazz Jamboree '68 compilation, which probably contains
> some non-OKOM .... [and earlier].....In the Evening (I was surprised it was "traditional" - I thought Brown wrote it!).

Dear Marek,
I did not mention that that LP was a compilation, as I assumed it was the LP you were referring to.
Wrong (again).
I believe I have the details for the rest of that LP. But (thankfully) you do not seem need them.
So I've saved myself some unnecessary researching time.
"In The Evening" (recorded by Sandy Brown on several occasions) was a popular song title over the years.
I920s versions include those by Williard Robison, Walter Donaldson and Handley-Dowling. Later authors include Leroy Carr.
There may be others.
To know which version was used on a particular record it would necessary to hear it.
Chris Barber and Ken Colyer recorded the title several times and it would be tempting to assume that this was the one Sandy Brown also played.
Their source may have been the one Kid Thomas recorded in 1964 (credited, I believe, to Big Broonzy but actually the Leroy Carr song "In The Evening, When The Sun Goes Down").
In the LP days of yore, if a producer was unable to verify a songwriter it was simpler to write 'traditional'.
It also saved a royalty payment.
8>)
Kind regards,
Bill.