[Dixielandjazz] St. James Infirmary by Louis Armstrong

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat May 8 13:40:53 PDT 2010

> Louis Armstrong And The All Stars:
> Louis Armstrong (t/vcl) Trummy Young (tb) Peanuts Hucko (cl) Billy Kyle (p) Mort Herbert (sb) Danny Barcelona (d)
> Los Angeles, September 30/October 1-2, 1959.
> It was recorded by Audio Fidelity.
> I have had it on LP for many years.
> A wonderful rendition.

I agree!
Audio Fidelity issued that LP twice - the second time as "The Best of
Louis Armstrong," without changing the liner notes.    The notes are
all about numbers related to King Oliver.  Inter alia, they read:
"Tere's even a total maverick - My Old Kentucky Home.  How did that
get in?
'Well,' Louis explaimed in his grave-throated ingenuousness, 'Joe
might have played it.'"
Weird, isn't it?
Well - not quite.  The original issue was titled "Louis Armstrong
Plays King Oliver."  Once you know that, everything falls neatly in
place.
Cheers