[Dixielandjazz] Ray Ronnei ~ Enlighten ... please

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat May 1 18:29:34 PDT 2010

FLECKNELL RICHARD posted:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1guOzrfR5g&feature=player_embedded
> http://jazzlives.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/the-magic-horn-of-papa-ray-ronnei-by-hal-smith/

and asked about Papa Ray Ronnie.

Dear Richard,
Last week, by sheer coincidence, I came across a long forgotten Jazz Missionaries LP (Epitaph No. 2) in my collection.
Having grown up with the Bunk Johnson, George Lewis, Kid Ory, Mutt Carey New Orleans 'revival' and its British and Australian equivalents I was intrigued, and amazed, when I acquired the LP way back, to find a young US band doing the same thing.
My first introduction to Ray Ronnei and his first issued recording.

The Jazz Missionaries. Ray Ronnei (c/vcl) Al Crowne (tb) Walt Sereth (cl) Dick Shooshan (p) Vic Loring (bj) Mike Fay (sb).
Santa Monica, CA, May 30, 1962
    All The Wrongs You've Done To Me
    All The Girls Go Crazy ('bout The Way I Walk)
    Isle of Capri
    Mood Indigo (rr vcl)
    You're Just In Love
    How Long Blues (rr vcl)
    Savoy Blues
    Creole Song
    Sweet Sue, Just You (rr vcl)

At the time I was impressed by the band, but particularly by Ray Ronnei.
All of them, at that time unknown to me, and playing the same NO music as we youngsters here in Oz.
It was to be much later, as the individual musicians appeared on other LPs, that I was to discover more about them.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: Many years ago, I related on the DJML how I came to finally meet pianist Dick Shooshan (the Golden Eagle JB leader) in the geographical centre of Australia.
But no time to repeat it today. Off after lunch to our regular gig at the Fortune of War Hotel in the inner-city Rocks area of Sydney.
Our clarinet lead, Jack Wiard is currently holidaying in Central Asia, so we have Bob Barnard filling in for the afternoon.
Next week we have Trevor Rippingale. Then Jack returns.