[Dixielandjazz] Authenticity Violin - No Fooling

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Wed Mar 31 23:33:47 PDT 2010

Hi Dan,

Basically I think we are of the same opinion. The throw-away line about the
violin - I typed 'fiddle' first but thought better of it - was meant to
point out to Richard that, just because the line-up was authentic, one
should still be satisfied that the sound was plausible. All in all, I think
you did a pretty good job with the role of the violin. I am not so convinced
about the rest of the overall sound. It sounded much too close to the
traditional jazz which I first heard in the late 1950s at the 51 Club and
then from the copyists playing so-called New Orleans Jazz.

I do confess to a few preconceived ideas about how a Buddy Bolden band would
have sounded. All the early jazz history makes many references to brass and
marching bands and I think this influence would have been much more
noticeable. As evidence for this, check out Kid Ory's ensemble trombone
lines against the trombone parts in a Sousa march. Almost identical, and I
somehow don't think that John Phillip copied 'the Kid'.

I too was reminded of the 1986 Humphrey Lyttelton recreation band that
Richard called "Here's one I made earlier 1986". (Hey Richard, stop
stirring!) However, not the band in the video clip, which is not very good.
I am talking about the recordings of the band sponsored by the BBC in that
landmark documentary. You can hear these on Dave Radlauer's website:

http://www.jazzhotbigstep.com/104.html

Listen to the MP3 file which is called "Lyttelton 2A", at the 00:21:10 mark:

http://www.jazzhotbigstep.com/24222.html

I think that kind of sound as produced by Humph is much more likely for a
Buddy Bolden band. But how would I know? And in the end none of this
matters. If you can find an audience that likes the music you are playing,
whatever the inspiration, more power to you. I like what you are doing, but
then I like Geoff and Paul. A lot!

Recreation bands? Gees, I'll tell you what! I have an Ellington Cotton Club
style band rehearsing at present. If I had known in the beginning what I
know now about the problems one runs into, I never would have started. But
at least I can listen to the recorded history of this band and I have some
fairly authentic transcriptions.

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin