[Dixielandjazz] George Webb's Funeral - New Orleans Comes to Kent

john petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 31 16:06:22 PDT 2010

The British Traditional Jazz community bade a fond farwell to its
founding father, George Webb yesterday.
The centre of Sidcup, Kent, just south of London, was brought to a
standstill by a traditional New Orleans style Marching band, which led
to the Sidcup Jazz Club for the ceremony.

This historic gathering reads like a virtual Who's Who of British Jazz.

Owen Bryce, Wally Fawkes and Eddie Harvey, founder members of the
original George Webb Dixielanders were there, with both Wally and Owen
doing a fine job in the parade.

Star clarinettist, Monty Sunshine, brought to the event by trumpeter,
Alan Gresty, held court during the afternoon's wake, meeting many old
friends.

Too many names to mention all, but the assembled cast of musicians
included, Max Collie, Mike Pointon, Chez Chesterman, Hugh Rainey, Pete
Skivington, Colin Bowden, Laurie Chescoe, Norman Davey, Brian White,
Geoff Cole, Goff Dubber, Digby Fairweather, Brian Masters, Dave Hewett,
Don Smith, John Crocker, Val Wiseman...........

I've got some nice photos which will be on the website in a couple of
days and I'll be uploading another video tribute with footage from the
parade and the wake, on to YouTube tomorrow.

--
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ