[Dixielandjazz] Can Of Worms

richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 31 06:41:37 PDT 2010

Good Morning Ex-Pomgolian,

right before I comment.  Your friend, Derek Winters, has seen me playing, once, and danced too, around 8 years ago. Once was enough, eh!

I'm not going to try and join this lot up (haven't the time ~ already 1 and half hours in to answering email from The Convicts).

My opinions and thoughts (not laid in stone). The DML can discuss in detail later.

Ken Colyer - does he play authentic NO music, probably not. All styles move on and his version of NO caught on (I like it too). Later in the early 60s a different sound emerged such as Geoff Bull, Barry Martyn, Keith Smith etc.
The younger musicians are coming up with yet another slant on it. And so it goes.

Dixieland & New Orleans Jazz - we can't agree on this site, let alone outside of it.  My take on Dixieland is often at odds with the US. George Lewis for an example, at various times his bands have used Ragtimers, Dixieland and New Orleans in band title.
Dixieland to me would be the ODJB and bands that shortly followed their footsteps, OM5 for one. I cannot leave out the NO players such as Sharkey, Mike Lala, Santo Pecora etc (they were there ~ it's their music).  Ory for one, I think, said he listened to the ODJB records. Was he as a working musician and knowing the consequences of being up to date influenced by the ODJB?
Anyone out there know Kid Howard's influences.

Now the Bolden Band. Not something I would attempt. Hiding to nothing.
It's difficult having played for many years to leave out your phrasing and fav licks/runs and your sound, and then guess as to what it may have sounded like.  Violin seemed a valid choice, as guitar would be.

Richard