[Dixielandjazz] OzOd ~ Roger Bell ~ Lazy Ade

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Tue Mar 30 18:17:01 PDT 2010

>> Now to find the original recording!
>
> Which one? It has been recorded 6 times by different Oz groups since 1944.
> I'll toss that one to Jack Mitchell.
> Kind regards,
> Bill.

The first recording of  SORRY TO BE LEAVING was by an Ade Monsbourgh group
on November 3, 1944 - it has been issued by the Victorian Jazz Archive on
Vjazz 003. The second recording was as by the EAST SIDE RAMBLERS, in Sydney
with Ade on trumpet and Ray Price and Jimmy Somerville with him in March
1945. I issued this on my JAZZ FROM THE MITCHELL LIBRARY FJM-020. This
latter version was also included in one of the 3 CDs that accompanied Bill
Boldiston's book SYDNEY'S JAZZ AND OTHER DELIGHTS.

Contrary to Roger Bell's remarks on the video clip Ade wrote it when he was
being transferred to the Flying Training School in Temora, NSW. Ade never
served with the RAAF outside Australia.

Graeme Bell recorded the tune in March, 1945 for Parlophone, reissued on an
Axis CD, both now long out of the catalogue. Or it would be if record
companies still issued catalogues.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell