[Dixielandjazz] Geoff Bull and New Orleans Jazz

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Tue Mar 30 17:57:15 PDT 2010

Hi Richard,

New Orleans style jazz, although I doubt that reality, is not rare in
Australian jazz. Geoff Bull gets around the scene with his own band playing
the same kind of trumpet style as is in the clip, and Paul Furniss'
beautiful reed sounds are heard in all kinds of jazz settings. There are
others claiming to play N.O. jazz but they are mostly in Melbourne, it seems
to me. I would say the influences are definitely there in the playing of
many Aussie musicians but most do not try to reproduce that band sound these
days. I have some good Aussie mates who do not think New Orleans traditional
jazz is alive and well in Australia, one who organised a tour down here by
Sammy Rimington. He feels it would be difficult to find a band to back Sammy
these days.

Just out of interest, do you think that The Buddy Bolden Revival Band
recreates the earliest jazz sounds, or is it just another traditional jazz
band after the likes of Ken Colyer? And how authentic was the "Governor"
anyway? My apologies to my best mate, trumpet player Derek Winters, back in
the U.K. who plays that style all the time and does is so well. To me, the
style we call N.O. jazz has always been a bit of an anomaly and I have no
idea what our American friends think it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYxok6qb6M4

http://www.kencolyertrust.org/

Hey, adding a violin does not fool anybody.

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin
REDLAND BAY