[Dixielandjazz] Marek ~ Bill ~ Jack ~ Steve

richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 24 16:23:31 PDT 2010

Hello Marek,

I wouldn't agree on all, I'm sure you'd not expect that, but most. Would you believe it but I've played alongside Chisholm (twice).  Talk about out of my depth.  Spike Hughes American Band made some very good sides and contained that wonderful flute player Carver.  Going back further The Savoy Orpheans made good tracks, Yale Blues for a start.  Benny Carter swinging Pardon Me Pretty Baby nice track.

Back to those Spike Hughes tracks ~ the solos are outstanding. Those recordings should be in everyone's collection.

I'm trying to winkle out the nuggets of OzJazz, but my OzPals are coy. Aussie's backward in coming forward?

Knowing you stuck up for Gonella, try Lew Stone's My Woman. Gonellas trumpet was 'sampled' and used on a UK pop hit single.

More British Gold ~ Barber At The London Palladium (doesn't Patterson sing well, and Joe Harriott is present too).  For Steve B, if you can get hold of that album, the duet between Ian Wheeler and Joe Harriott, on 'S Wonderful, is a gem.

One more thing Marek, and Bill H, and Jack M ~ if my grammar and spelling is not to form (is it ever!), put it down to a bottle of Empire beer, followed by some cheap Aussie Red from the local Co-Op.

Richard

OzOd ... now anchored in Botany Bay ... Deja Vu?