[Dixielandjazz] Mike Thomason ~ AussiePodBean

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 23 15:35:22 PDT 2010

<richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com> wrote [in part] in reply to Mike Thomason's reference to me:
> Bill and I have exchanged email and Jack Mitchell too.

Dear Richard and Mike,
I have not been deliberately ignoring you, or the subject of Australian jazz.
And, like my dear mate Jack Mitchell, dare not get involved in a crash course regarding Australian jazz music.
It's like that old chestnut, "How long is a piece of string?"
Specific questions, yes, but "enlightening."
Mmmmmm.
It has taken Jack and me since the mid 1940s to absorb it all, and we are still at it.
Jack's definitive discographies:
	'Australian Jazz On Record 1925-80.' (1988. Australian Government Publishing Service). AJOR
	'More Australian Jazz On Record.' (1998. Nationa Film And Sound Archive). MAJOR
	'Even More Australian Jazz On Record.' (2002. The Victorian Jazz Archive Inc.) EMAJOR
would be a good start. If you can find the first two.
The following link is to a brief summary I wrote for the new 'Jazz In Australia' website:
  http://www.jazzinaustralia.org.au/history.html
provides a brief historical background to the subject, including our 'modern' scene.
Very kind regards,
Bill.