[Dixielandjazz] Chippie Hill

Don Kirkman donsno2 at charter.net
Thu Mar 18 11:02:53 PDT 2010

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 17:18:22 +1100, you wrote:

>Half of the "chippie" usage is now clear but the other half (young
>female prostitute) is still a mystery. I remember it being used, umpteen
>years ago, in reference to the girls working in the cribs in Storyville
>but I can't locate it. I've browsed Blesh's "Shining trumpets", Lomax's
>"Mr Jelly Roll" and the sleeve notes of LPs from the 50s and 60s - to no
>avail.

>The prostitute meaning definitely exists - it's in the Oxford Dictionary
>- first used in 1886.

That led me to finally look at Chapman's "American Slang" [1987],
where I found

chippy or chippie  1.  n[oun] fr late 1800s  A woman presumed to be of
easy virtue; woman who frequents bars, public dance halls, etc:  /the
same as in Storyville except that the chippies were cheaper./- Louis
Armstrong.

Also, to cheat or be sexually unfaithful, to take occasional drugs.

Sorry, there aren't any other details about the context or time of
Louis' statement.
--
Don Kirkman
donsno2 at charter.net