[Dixielandjazz] Chippie Hill

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 17 23:18:22 PDT 2010

Hello Bill

Thanks for that - very good.

Half of the "chippie" usage is now clear but the other half (young
female prostitute) is still a mystery. I remember it being used, umpteen
years ago, in reference to the girls working in the cribs in Storyville
but I can't locate it. I've browsed Blesh's "Shining trumpets", Lomax's
"Mr Jelly Roll" and the sleeve notes of LPs from the 50s and 60s - to no
avail.

The prostitute meaning definitely exists - it's in the Oxford Dictionary
- first used in 1886.