[Dixielandjazz] Clyde Hurley

Artwoo at aol.com Artwoo at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 15:30:40 PDT 2010

Regarding "In the Mood" yes there were different versions. But the most
familiar one has Clyde Hurley's famous solo: From Allabout jazz.com Another
version that  is noteworthy was in the final concert

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=20173

 "In the Mood has two built in solo sections, including one of the  famous
"tenor battles between Tex Beneke and Al Klink. Beneke became a star  while
with the Miller band, playing a smoothed-out version of Coleman Hawkins'
style that nevertheless fit perfectly in with Miller's conception. Many felt
that Klink could hold his own with Beneke, but Beneke always got the solos,
even  when arrangers tried to write in parts for Klink. The other is a
16-bar trumpet  solo by Clyde Hurley which leads into the famous fade-away
ending, which to this  day is a model of suspense and dynamics. "

With no dis-respect to Mr. Ingle, Bobby Hackett's famous solo was in
"String of Pearls."

Thanks,
Art Wood

In a message dated 3/17/2010 11:53:23 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,