[Dixielandjazz] Saint Louis Blues ~ Louis ~ Stan Brager

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Sun Mar 14 10:49:46 PDT 2010

Thanks for your thoughts, Harry. I'd forgotten about Nat Adderley - a
wonderfully lyrical player. I agree with you that Chet Baker was mostly a
Miles clone. He was also the perfect foil for Gerry Mulligan on his first
several quartet albums in the early '50s. His star diminished when Lee
Konitz joined the quartet.

Harry James got a bad rap for his big band sides during the forties which
were well done but lacking in jazz. Yet, remembering his work with Benny
Goodman, his late 30s small group sides as well as the sides with Teddy
Wilson's & Lionel Hampton's groups and his later big bands in the 50s and
beyond, I'd put him on the list of excellent jazz players.

But this is merely my opinion.

Stan

Stan Brager