[Dixielandjazz] Wild Bill Whelan and Tommy Saunders

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 16:53:49 PST 2010

At the risk of this sounding like a commercial, I only first became aware of
Ernie Carson when he was featured as guest artist on a CD I received several
years ago by the Smith Street Society Jazz Band.

It was an album produced on George Buck's GWB label in LP form in 1988
entitled "Take Me to the Land of Jazz" and then re-issued on the OKOM label
in 2001 in CD format.

For anyone who is willing to suffer through the vocals of my friends,
soprano saxophonist Bruce McNichols and trombonist Herb Gardner, it is a
truly excellent album

Among the selections (and I should have thought of this when someone was
looking for an unlike-Sophie Tucker version of it last week) is "Some of
These Days"......maybe she's reading this right now.

In an effort to make amends for his own vocalizing, Bruce was kind enough to
provide for us a sparkling rendition of "Them There Eyes" by his lovely wife
Lynne, who for my money, took ownership of the Arlen-Koehler tune "A Hundred
Years From Today" when she recorded it with the band back in 1981..

It is available for sale at the okom.com website

Mention my name and they'll charge you double.

Tides,
HC