[Dixielandjazz] "Chippie" Hill

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Mon Mar 8 16:22:00 PST 2010

Hello all

Bertha "Chippie" Hill's nickname is ambiguous. It can mean both a young
girl and a promiscuous woman or prostitute.

It's probable that, in Hill's case, the first use applies. Can anyone
clarify the situation?

Hill's "Trouble in mind" (February 1926) has long been one of my
favourites - in part because of the fine singing but also because of the
magnificent long solo introduction by Louis Armstrong. By coincidence
I'm playing this record tomorrow, in the course on Blues that I'm giving
to our local University of the 3rd Age.

All the best,
Anton