[Dixielandjazz] Just a Closer Walk

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 09:54:58 PST 2010

Ken:

I'm unable to come up with an earlier version as you requested.

However, you haven't lived until you've heard it done by the late "Deacon
Jim"
Lawyer who was co-leader of the Smith Street Society Jazz Band and recorded
it
sometime in the early 70s.

He also played banjo, guitar and tuba (that I know of) He was truly a most
versatile
musician and if anyone called out a request at a live engagement, it was
extremely
rare that he didn't know the lyrics to it

He spent a number of years playing in Germany but right offhand I cannot
recall the name of the band he was with..

One of the most magnificant entertainers that I have ever had the privilege
to know.
and I know that he is dearly missed by many.

Tides,
HC